Tuesday, February 24, 2009

On My Way

Sometime in the last year, I started cautiously exploring the idea of becoming a professional genealogist. I've been doing research for over 30 years, ever since I was handed a stack of family trees and memoirs that had belonged to my grandfather, when I was just out of high school. All along the way I've attended meetings and conferences in order to learn more, and this age of the internet seems tailor-made for me.
So last summer I attended a meeting of the Puget Sound Chapter of the Association of Professional Genealogists at the Kent Historical Museum. I came away thinking that yes, this is what I want to do. Last fall I joined the National Genealogical Society, and took several of their online classes - learning, most of all, that I don't know as much as I thought I did! In late November I ordered their Home Study Course in American Genealogy, and so far I've completed 5 out of the 6 lessons on it. Just last week I received CDs 2 and 3, and it looks like I'm going to get off the well-travelled path (census records, vital records, library research) and onto brand-new material (land records-drawing maps of meets and bounds; abstracting wills, exploring courthouse records).
I'm loving the journey!

1 comment:

  1. Great post.

    I notice that it is always becoming more difficult to obtain professional genealogy researcher in US

    Im sharing you this Genealogy Company which have been helping people discover their heritage for more than thirty years. As one of the United States’ largest genealogical firms, they have assisted thousands of families to organize, chart, and verify their ancestral lines.Price & Associates uses the best software and genealogy resources available, and even provides access to free databases and researching aids to everyone interested in their family history.

    http://www.pricegen.com/

    ReplyDelete